View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
gleefan

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Thank you all so much for being here for me. I wouldn't make it without you all.
Agreed Ang! I've learned so many great approaches to my challenges from other people in recovery. I'm glad you made it through your craving into a good morning.

Fradley - I found it easier to align my behavior with my core values when I stopped drinking, not to mention I found it easier to realize what my core values were. Congratulations on 50 days sober. Enjoy your time with your family! Please be careful at that winery.

Casey - We can all take your advice - to not take the first drink.

Amp - I agree that there are some events that we have to attend, simply because it's the right thing to do. In those situations I've found that having a few ideas of how to protect my sobriety helps. I may never need to use any of those ideas or I may need to use them all. It's helped me a lot.

Today I was driving home on a route that I don't take often, but that I've driven while drunk. I know drunk driving is dangerous. I know it's illegal. I know the legal fees are expensive after an arrest and the write up in the community police report is embarrassing. I know not being able to drive is inconvenient.

I drove under the influence right up til I stopped drinking 17 months ago. For the first time ever, today, I felt genuine remorse for putting other people at risk.

It didn't make me uncomfortable to feel this way. I didn't feel guilty, nervous, or threatened by my thoughts. They just seemed like the right thoughts to have, that fit the situation. It was a real breakthrough. It's amazing to me how thoughts and feelings evolve and deepen in recovery.