Thread: New
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
FrankLapidas

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hi, Frank --

. . . inpatient offers so much to the individual who is hurting. You've noted that isolation is a huge issue for you. Inpatient would create a setting in which others can step in and care for you, providing the tools you badly need to move forward. And you would do it in the real-life company of others.

SR is home to lots of people who've successfully completed inpatient treatment. What a huge, huge difference it has made in their lives.

Please take the plunge and go inpatient. I always thought you sounded like a nice guy and you deserve so much better than what life is for you right now. And you clearly need an intensive setting in which to relearn life -- life free of the chains of addiction.
Trying to get caught up replying to posts . . .

As I mentioned above I've done inpatient twice. The first was several years ago, a 28 day program. With the wisdom of hindsight I think I checked myself in more because of depression than booze. That depression (which I did not know much about at the time) was fueled by copious quantities of coke. If you want the express elevator down to the depths of depression just snort coke for a few days straight, don't sleep, and drink lotsa booze. That inpatient experience was generally positive. In fact, I enjoyed it, didn't want to leave. Also it didn't work, at least not for long. I did, however, quit coke a few months later. I don't think it was because of the rehab, and I didn't make some "vow" to quit snorting, I just got tired of the depression aftereffect.

My second inpatient was early this year. I bailed after about a week, just long enough to detox with the aid of their meds. And went directly to the liquor store. It was just a bad setting for me. I had little in common with the other patients since most of them were there on some sort of 90 day "sentence", I assume mandated by the legal system. Not really sure. They also were pushing the hell out of AA, which is not for me. (I've tried that, too).

If I could find an impatient program as positive as my first experience, I'd probably try it again. But I now have the logistical impediment of being the only caretaker for my mother. She can't be left along, so I can't leave. And no, I'm not gonna pawn her off on a haired caregiver for a month.

So for now, I'll just keep trying here on SR.