View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
This is how Brene Brown defines love:

My primary take away in all of that (for me at my point in my recovery) is that we can only love others as much as we love ourselves. For me personally, and for my al-anon friends, one of the biggest struggles I face everyday is loving myself and being consistent with self-care. I think when you aren't raised with the concept of self love and self-care, they are very difficult to learn as an adult and those effect our relationships with ALL people that we love, not just in romantic relationships.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

P.S. I'm glad you're new relationship is smooth sailing.
Thanks, Stung. I love Brene Brown. One of the things that my bf says he liked about me was that when he met me, I was living my life and loving every minute of it. He was afraid I wouldn't be able to make time for him and there have been many Sundays when he would text me and say, "Hey busy lady, you got time for me this week?" I was out with friends, going to meetings, making time for the gym, managing my son's stuff, and working full time eventually and I wouldn't give up my gym time just for him nor would I give up dinner with a girlfriend just because he asked me out.

I was already taking care of ME and working my recovery and managing my time and my life when we started dating. That was a huge part of the attraction for him and it kept me interesting to him and yet also kept me grounded because I was making ME a priority.

Yesterday he texted me shortly before I left work and asked me if I was still working. I said yes and that I just high five my tech guy because he fixed my scanner at the last minute. My bf texts me back, "there is something sexy about a woman working....."