View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behan

Greetings Soberenders,

Jumping aboard our wonderful bus once again. I wish all passengers, both new and familiar, a very good day indeed.

I was unable to check in much last weekend as I was away camping with Mrs B and some of my family. It was a truly Irish camping experience: first there was rain, then there was some more rain, then a gale force wind arrived, then a little more rain, the sun came out and the temperature dropped, then a little more rain, etc.

I loved every minute of it!! Cooking outside, swimming in the cold sea, going for nice drives. Lots of family bonding and conversation. This was my first sober holiday and it went very well. I had mentally prepared for a long time and reading about everyone's experiences on here helped immensely. Everyone drank most evenings around the camp fire. I had intermittent cravings, but they passed without any drama. Only on one occasion was I really tempted when a glass of wine was poured and offered to me. I politely refused and got a replacement drink instead. I noticed some members of my family were drinking a little less - those that I would have drank heavily with in the past. We are all learning how to negotiate this new social dispensation.

Although fatigued by the camping and weather, I left without that insipid, gut wrenching fear that I had offended someone or made a fool of myself in front of others and I have no dread in seeing anyone again as I am confident I acted as myself, maybe just a little grumpy in the rain

I am now experiencing a sober life as possible and realistic, as long as I take it one step at a time, plan ahead, and seek the support of others when required.

I hope everyone is keeping well and I look forward to our weekend together, my brothers and sisters in sobriety........

B