Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
KeryJames

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Good morning! Has anyone else had issues with a person/ people who cannot quit reminding you of the past and things you did while drinking? A person who purports to be my supportive friend keeps doing this. He's still angry at me and sometimes says some pretty mean stuff. At first when I was sober I was understanding, and took it all. Had another convo with him last night where things were dredged up. I spent hours crying. Maybe time to cut him loose. He apologized this morning but... How long do I need to suffer the slings and arrows! I'm doing all the right stuff now. He's not. I love him dearly but I think he's holding me back in my recovery. Anyone else had to broom someone you love out of your life?
Oh sorry you had to suffer through that MLD. Sounds like an emotional vampire. You don't need that.

Are you friends with an ex? I never stay friends with ex's, when it's done it's done. Adios. Next. If he's an ex then I assume it was you who ended it? As it's normally the woman who offers the LJBF rejection....and it's the foolish man who accepts it. He's probably resentful about that and that's why he's bringing up to past and essentially chipping away at your self-esteem.

Biminiblue gives a great response in dealing with that...

There are nourishing people and toxic people in the world. Better for your self esteem if your life is filled with nourishing people.

I have a friendship formula:
Common goal + Shared Experience + Time + Positive Emotions

If one of those elements is missing, the friendship is harder to maintain. For me the most important criteria is positive emotions.....