View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
ThursdayNight

Hi Allie. I went to a women's only AA meeting and it was GREAT! Outside the door there are "greeters" who make you feel more comfortable. I didn't share anything the first few times, I just sat and listened and really learned to respect and love these women. I sat next to this lovely woman who, after going to the meeting 4 times, I have asked to be my sponsor. I didn't even know what a sponsor did, but I can tell you that she is really helping me along. She gives me reading and writing assignments, and they are actually fun.
I picked up a book of meetings where I was there. [C] means the meeting is "closed" which means it's only for alcoholics who want to be sober. An "open" meeting is for anyone to attend - my boyfriend went with me to one (a co-ed meeting) because I wanted him to see what it was like. All meetings are different, so don't judge the program based on your first meeting. Try to attend a few. You'll find they aren't scary at all. At my women's meetings there are lots of hugs and so much support. There isn't a catty one in the bunch. All are there to support each other through this journey, and you will find that AA members are super honest with their horror stories. I have shared things in AA that my best friend doesn't even know about me!

Anyway, I hope that helps. AA was nothing like I thought it was going to be.