View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
site1Q84

Odisnow, post as often as you need to tonight! We're all here for you. Think of it as working your sober muscles, like Dee says. It will get easier with practice, and think how good you'll feel about yourself after you get past this hurdle sober!

Allie, I almost had a panic attack when I went to my first meeting. It was just being selfish, like most drunks are. In reality no one cares if you're there, even people you know. That's not a place where anyone gets judged. If you see someone you know I would think that's a good thing! Having acquaintances in AA is the first step to getting some new, sober friends. I still have friends that drink, but being around others going through the same thing is such a nice feeling. They can understand everything you're going through. What's the worst that could really happen? The relief I get after I went to that meeting is like nothing I've ever experienced. I had SR, but knowing face to face I wasn't alone and to see all these strangers who cared so much about me and who were willing to help me in anyway possible without even knowing me... It made a huge difference for me. I was relapsing once a week before I decided I obviously want doing Enough and went to AA and it seems to be working. Haven't had a drink since that first meeting!