Thread: 'Push Back' ?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think considering the great mix of personalities situations and experiences here, we get it right an amazing percentage of the time.

Sometimes the message is received, sometimes, not...and , often, the message is received by someone else

D
Yes. Given the size, the breadth and the content being discussed -- and, as you mentioned, the diverse personalities and experiences -- I think that we do a pretty amazing job of policing ourselves. I'd hate to see that diluted or adjusted because we sometimes react with fear or anger to what other people have to say.

My perspective is that how we act and react here is a reflection of those same behaviors away from SR (and, in many cases, we use SR so that we won't act in destructive ways IRL), and that there is a great deal to learn from others' feedback. The only way to avoid people reacting in anger, in ways that are unhelpful and in ways that are hurtful to what we say and do is to avoid them. On SR, there is a minimum of this kind of behavior when compared to what we face IRL, and that's only one of the things that makes the place work as well as it does.

Had I found and used SR during my relapse, I don't know exactly how I might have responded to positive confrontation, though I imagine I would not have done so with grace in many instances, knowing how far gone I was what at the time, and later having become aware of what SR has to offer.