View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Briar
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I hope you're feeling better, V.

Arbor - my brother's a plumber, so we usually get him to do stuff for half the price and some barbecued tri-tip. Good job doing all that yourself, I wouldn't even consider attempting that myself, nor allowing my husband to do so. He is an excellent accountant, not a handyman.

You guys have quite a bit of traveling going on. I'm glad you are enjoying all that. Myself personally, I'm not even amenable to going to the park right now, so a trip is not on my list at the moment. The last time we went anywhere was kind of a bad experience anyway. I've probably told you this story before. We went to Monterey for the weekend with another couple and stayed at a bed and breakfast with a very odd family. That was awkward enough, but the place was strictly dry, and I was "sober" but secretly drinking heavily, so I hid several water bottles filled with vodka in the lining of my suitcase. I spent the whole weekend trying to maintain exactly the right level of alcohol in my system to avoid withdrawal but not get noticeably drunk. And meanwhile "have a good time." It was not a good time. Before we left on the last day, I accidentally left the lid of my bottle loose, and the perfectly portioned very last of my vodka spilled in my bag and was lost. While my family was perusing a farmers' market, I snuck into a nearby wine bar and made quite an ass of myself demanding "two glasses of your house white, now!" and pounding them like they were water. That was just enough to get me home. But for that wine bar, I would absolutely have drank my husband's mouthwash. No question about it. That's desperation. That whole trip sort of soured my view of travel in general, even though I know it would be different sober.

It's hot here, mid-90s right now. Not bad in the house, though. It cools down at night, so we keep the windows open until morning, then we close the place up during the day and run the fans. It stays pretty comfortable.

I'm feeling a bit better today, able to think a little more clearly. I feel emotionally numb, which is better than feeling terrible. It will do.

Best to everybody.