Old 07-18-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shirt423

Fiancé not an addict, I couldn't be happier

A few years ago I spent a lot of time on this site, looking for advice on my then alcoholic boyfriend's many issues. I actually remember feeling angry when someone would tell me to get out of the relationship. Like everything in life, it took me time to sort my feelings out for myself. I loved him very much and he was not a terrible person, and had a lot of good qualities. Now, after being apart from him for the better part of two years, I can't believe how much my life has changed for the better. I met an amazing man who I NEVER worry about, which is a breath of fresh air. He is dependable, understanding, open, and wants a true partner in life. We feel responsible for each other when before I always felt responsible for both for us. I guess if someone is reading, not understanding how they ended up where they are (because that was how I felt), just know it can be better, you deserve better, and that doesn't have to mean your boyfriend or girlfriend is a bad person. I still talk to my ex on occasion and there is no animosity between us. But I am so happy that I did not waste another year of my life focusing on him, instead of building a life with someone as a team. Ironically my fiance's ex is also an alcoholic so we both appreciate our new found peace. And to the entire forum, thank you for the help when I needed it. I learned a lot and it has translated into many aspects of my life.