Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lance40

In the absence of drugs or alcohol, it's natural and perhaps even expected in early sobriety that your addiction will latch onto other things. As long as those things aren't harmful to you I wouldn't worry. The important thing is to stay focused on staying away from drugs and alcohol.

As you continue working on your sobriety and alcohol / drug cravings begin to fade as you grow stronger, then at some point you may feel motivated to look into the other obsessions / addictions.....or not. Ongoing sobriety work brings a growing self-awareness of how and why you behave the way you do. Part of that self-awareness may be the realization that you will never be completely rid of your addictive potential. As you continue to grow, then you will become more keenly aware when your addiction is expressing itself and that's when you have the choice on how you proceed.

My own addictive behaviour shifted when I got sober. First it was sweets and then moved to coffee. I also got obsessed with religion. Continued sobriety work has allowed me to move past that, but I'm under no illusions that the addictive potential is gone. It's sitting there waiting for the perfect storm when it will show it's face again.