View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  
GnikNus

Day 228. The number is starting to look close to a year. Can't believe it. I owe it to SR.
Had dinner with some friends for the first time since I quit. They asked me how not drinking was going and I told them it was going great. I explained my drinking, and why I hadn't been around as I laid low for many months to get "sober muscles" worked out enough to be in social situations where alcohol might be consumed. They understood, and now I'm able to see people on occasion in that environment.

I used to drink a lot with them. They had some cocktails and I hardly gave it a thought.
We had a nice meal after having rehearsed for a festival gig I have this weekend ( already did my first sober gig, so I'm past that). The band sounds great and I think we'll have a great time. The annual festival used to be an excuse to hit the beer tent with abandon, but this year I'll enjoy it more without that part.
The clarity, the peace, the overall vast improvement of life is so far and above better than what life used to be like with alcohol. It truly was a weight around my neck, one that would have eventually killed me.
My wife and kids are back east. I'll join them I a couple of weeks after I finish teaching summer school. I miss my kids, but it's very quiet here. Lots of time to contemplate things and enjoy the California summer. Pick fruit from the trees for cobbler. Go fishing. Play music. Take hikes in the hills. Watch Netflix. Stay up late and sleep late. Eat ice cream. Simple pleasures. Do some planning for the future. All without the dark cloud of alcohol choking my life.