Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
QuietToday

Quitting Addiction(s) only to be replaced by new addictions?

So I've a relative handle so far on my early sobriety. I quit drinking and cigarettes, and it feels pretty thoroughly out of my system. Some cravings/flashes, but for the most part it really feels like I've kicked it out. I have much work to do still, but I'm just referring to that feeling of addictive need/want with alcohol/cigarettes.

But what I realized is that over the past 2 weeks, which is now about 2 months into sobriety, that I have entered into 3 absurd "addictions," although it's more like the psychological definition of mania.

I just start to look for something to be addicted to. Two of the things were consumer hobbies, and then the latest is just a revival of a very old, lousy habit of cataloging stuff on webpages that I kicked four years ago.

Is this to be expected? I am truly caught off guard. It completely slipped my mind when I started my sober journey to consider myself as an addictive personality. All I thought was that I can't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes anymore, but now I'm going just about nuts trying to find something to replace them with that it's really rather frightening (and costly!).

Anyone go through this? What can I do to catch myself? It's seriously overwhelming; I get these heat flashes, and then a literal dozen hours pass while I go nuts over whatever I'm manic over.

Never had this before, outside of drinking/smoking of course. Quite unnerving.