View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 11:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
euphoria
Addict

Originally Posted by BRUCE
euphoria,,you wrote this,,

funny, i dont see that in the clarity statement. to me, it says thta we have one disease and when anda's come into our meetings and say alcoholic or dopefiend, those anda's appear to suggest to the already confused newcomer that he has more than one disease and his problem is substance specific

euphoria,,you are stateing that the na text 5th edition is suggesting to the allready confused new comer that he has more than one disease and his problem is drug specific,,
uhmm...

no, thats not what i said. are we reading the same thing?

ok dood, look, i agree that there may be some things in the basic text, escpecially in the personal stories, that may seem to contradict the clarity statement, or na principles if your a "purist". but even jimmy k called himself a "recovered alcholoic and an addict". personally, i think couches get "recovered" not addicts, and when i hear someone say "anda" ... well... anyway....

you know, i am not even sure where that clarity statement origniated from. i heard it came from some convention somewhere and it jsut caught on. i dunno really, just a rumor i heard. but here is a clarity statement i heard at other meetings:

"As a fellowship, we must continue to strive to move forward by not stubbornly clinging to one radical extreme or the other. Our members who have been unintentionally blurring the NA message by using drug-specific language such as "sobriety," "alcoholic," "clean and sober," "dope fiend," etc., could help by identifying simply and clearly as addicts, and using the words "clean," "clean time," and "recovery," which imply no particular substance. We all could help by referring to only our own literature at meetings, thereby avoiding any implied endorsement or affiliation. Our principles stand on their own. For the sake of our development as a fellowship and the personal recovery of our members, our approach to the problem of addiction must shine through clearly in what we say and do at meetings."

It came from here: http://www.na.org/bulletins/bull13-r.htm