View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by InMyBlood View Post
Good evening (or morning to those around the world)! So I've decided after a couple of years of dragging my feet (and drinking myself into oblivion) that I want to go back to school and earn my Masters degree in mental health counseling. The thing is though, I'm just shy of 4 months sober and I keep hearing and reading that I don't need to make any big decisions the first year of recovery. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input or experience in this decision department. Thanks a bunch!
I think a decision like this may be a perfectly-aligned way of bringing important change to your life, actively building a new, sober life's vision.

I would be careful to ensure you pursue your goal with adequate support, and ask yourself whether you're keeping on track with your sobriety.... Not using the school path as a distraction from important self work that is needed to really build your sober foundation.

But if you can keep to that work alongside your goal, what a wonderful way to really build a new life and incorporate your sobriety into a focus on helping others....