View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Hi Thomas, I don't know your whole back story, but I am also an athlete and know what it feels like to not be able to go at your maximum. I assume you are in physical therapy now. Could you start looking into moving from a physical therapist to a personal trainer? The gym I go to is actually a sports medicine center. Upstairs they have the doctors. Downstairs there are two gyms that are by appointment only. On one side is the physical rehabilitation, on the other side is a gym with a personal trainer who does sports straining and sports recovery training. Most people start with the doctor, then move to the physical therapy and then move on to the trainer to start working on really getting back to full form. You know your body. Of course it is right to take it easy and be patient. But I think a good, highly trained trainer will know how to push you without you hurting yourself. The gym I go to has a lot of Olympic athletes and professional soccer/football players. Some of them come in with severe injuries and I have seen them recover before my eyes. It IS possible. You will get there.

As for the working hard and the reward, I get that too, though I also "rewarded" myself nearly every day. Let's think of something else to reward you with. If you are physical and active can you take the weekends off of your main sport training and do something else active but that is less intense? Maybe rent a kayak and go for a paddle? Take a long, leisurely walk somewhere. Or maybe you've got your eye on a new piece of equipment. With the money you save by not drinking AND if you really feel like you gave 110% the whole week with your physical therapy/training, you can permit yourself to splurge and buy something related to your sport/physical activity. Don't throw away those 46 days. I was right at 46 days last time I did and man oh man do I regret it. You are doing better than you think and will only get better physically if you keep up the AWESOME work of staying sober. Come on buddy, you have GOT this.