Thread: Cycles
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by upontheroof View Post
Hello all, Been a lurker for a while, this is my latest attempt at quitting alcohol. I'm in my early 30s, primarily a weekend warrior type drinker. I won't feel any real strong desire to drink until Friday night comes around but then if I have a drink I will keep going until I pass out usually. Then probably repeat it Saturday and if I start on Sunday I'll end up phoning in sick Monday. Lots of money spent over the years, embarrassment, injuries, risk taking with drink driving etc. The last few years have seen this cycle get worse, my partner is running out of patience I think. There's no discernable concrete thing that makes me start up again after stopping, I guess enough time passes to forget the feeling that makes me quit. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result then I guess I'm insane... I'm hoping being more active here will help me to keep it up this time, I struggle with impulsive actions generally and just need a mental check before I go to the off licence.
hhis is a pretty good description of where I was in my early thirties... It got two DUIs, two divorces and a whole lot of misery worse before I finally chose sobriety.

Stick around here and give sobriety a honest go.... I think you'll find it far preferable to a decade of diminishing returns and awful consequences