View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

AllieK -- I think the AVRT book is "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey.

I certainly understand what you're saying on your efforts re: staying sober lessening. I have lived that constant cycle of swearing not to drink and then relapsing over and over and over again for the last 13 years. I got to where I didn't really even really believe myself that I really wanted to stop drinking, I just knew it was the "right" thing to do, the thing I should be saying.

All I can say is--I had no idea when I said "never again" for the thousandth time on May 8 of this year that things would end up being different this time. Heck, I didn't even come on here that day and admit to drinking again because I was tired of repeating that old tired lie over and over again. I posted that night about craving candy with no mention of my relapse and then posted the next morning about being on day 2. No one noticed or at least no one commented on my resetting my count. And that's because I didn't believe it either.

But something is different this time for me and it can be for you too. Go back to that old May chestnut of "finding your z". What can you do different this time that you haven't done before? My Z this time has definitely been paying attention to others here on SR.

To put it a little more simply:

Don't quit trying just before the miracle happens.

I love that saying, there's a ton of truth in it for me today and there can be for you too. You know that you and your family both will be happier with a sober you.