View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Jeff, I think the issue with having the booze around the house is that keeping it so close when you get those thoughts/urges/cravings to drink may not give you the time to think the drink through or to come on here or to even just tell your addiction NO. Just because you didn't drink from those bottles yesterday doesn't mean you won't tomorrow or next Friday, etc. And all it takes is that first drink and all bets are off. You may not get the chance to sober up again or it may take months or years before you get back to this point you're at now. Addiction to alcohol is serious business.

Yeah, you can always go to the store and buy more, but just the physical act of getting dressed and getting your money together and then driving to the store and walking in there and then paying for it and going home and opening that bottle might be enough time to let the urge pass and/or to deny your addiction what it wants.

I had a HUGE craving about ten days ago. I mean, it was a monster, by far the worst I've had during my 58 days of sobriety this time. I can guarantee you that if I'd had booze around the house during the thirty minutes or so my addiction was yelling words of love to me that day, I would have taken that first drink and probably the second and third and eighth that usually follows that first one. But instead I was getting ready to go to work and didn't have time to go to the store and get a bottle, and by the time I got to work the craving had passed and I was still sober. If that bottle had been at home when that craving hit, I would have found an excuse to call in to work.

We're still new to sobriety. We both drank for years and years and years. Give your recovery muscles some time to strengthen. There's no reason to test them so early by keeping that booze around for easy access. You're not proving anything to yourself or to your addiction or to anyone else by keeping them at the house.