View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Austin4Wyo

FreeOwl, I did reread your post before the last reply. If its a curiosity,.thats good. Growth came from my curiosity. I, too, have moments when I find it slightly amusing that the liquor and beer companies have our patriotic holidays on lockdown. Tell my boys on the ship about how much you're tipping back a cold one in their honor. They'll LOVE that...heh.

Like I said, as long as I stay aware of my motives, curiosity stays just that...a passing notice. When I start to go beyond curious and make statements beyond what I can quantifiably observe, I'm typically not on the up and up, and I'm giving up my freedom from the disease.

Alcohol and fast food have a couple similarities for me...

1) Both are terrible for me in a long run.
2) I'm free from the obsession of both.
3) I barely notice fast food unless someone is eating it, or I drive past a fast food joint, and anymore, I barely notice.outside references to alcohol as they are presented.

I never had an addiction to Whoppers, Big Macs, or Nachos Bel Grandé. But if I have a Whopper, I can go months or years without patronizing Burger King again. I don't have more than a passing thought about fast food on any regular basis. "Oh, there's McDuck's," is about the extent of it.

After many, many tries at recovery, I'm in a similar place with alcohol. "Oh, there's a liquor store," "Wow, a new bar opened up," and "I don't need the drinks list, I'll have lemonade, please," are about where my thoughts are most days. Not EVERY day, but most.

True liberation from the obsession, for me, anyway, comes when I'm no longer any more aware of external references to alcohol beyond personal vigilance of my disease. If it seems in my face that its OMG EVERYWHERE!!!, I better be taking a look inward, rather than outward.

I hope thats where you're truly at, because it is indeed a great place. I guess I was just suspect of it because of the laundry list of things you pointed out that were external to you. Either way, you're sober today, and that's what counts.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior