View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Venecia

8 Ways to Celebrate July 4th

For my fellow Yanks, here are some positive ideas for celebrating our independence on Independence Day:

1. Get some exercise. Actually, this is a good idea any day.

2. Pick some flowers or purchase a small bouquet. Take them to a veterans cemetery or any cemetery; place the flowers on a veteran's grave that looks like it hasn't had any visitors in a while.

3. Whip up a batch of delicious NA drinks.

Favorite Nonalcoholic Drinks | Epicurious.com

Refreshing Teas and Non-Alcoholic Drinks - Southern Living

4. Look around your neighborhood. Is there an elderly person, or someone who is hurting or alone, nearby? How about taking him or her to your local fireworks? You might just make someone's day really special.

5. Calculate what you spent in a week on booze. Donate it to charity. Perhaps something particularly notable since it's Independence Day ... here are just a couple thoughts:

National Park Foundation: Official Charity of America's National Parks

Mission: "The National Park Foundation, in partnership with the National Park Service, enriches America’s national parks and programs through private support, safeguarding our heritage and inspiring generations of national park enthusiasts."

Aren't our nation's national parks spectacular!

Veterans Charity Organization that Honors & Empowers Wounded Warriors | Wounded Warrior Project

Mission: "To honor and empower our wounded warriors."

(I practiced what I preached today with a donation. There are men and women, and their families, who will need our help for the rest of their lives.)

6. Do you love the Beatles? Are you a Facebooker or Tweeter? Enter #peaceandlove or Ringo Starr in the search field.

Ringo's inviting everyone to upload a celebratory video at noon, wherever they are, on Monday, his 75th birthday. Get creative!

And Ringo's been a sober guy since 1988. Way to go!

Ringo Starr Says He Wasted Years in Alcoholic Haze After Beatles Breakup | The Fix

7. Dig out a recipe you've not made in a while (or try a new one). Here's one of my favorites; I'm taking it to a gathering today. It is delicious!

THE ULTIMATE GREEK SALAD | Recipes | Nigella Lawson

Here's one a friend just posted on FB. Hubba, hubba!

Milky Way Rice Krispie Treats - Your Cup of Cake

8. If it's raining (or scorching), be a couch potato. Here are six classics to consider for this Independence Day -- movies about the promise of America, both in its fullness and its aspirations, and about sacrifice and love.

- "The Right Stuff"
- "Saving Private Ryan"
- "To Kill A Mockingbird"
- "Born on the 4th of July"
- "Yankee Doodle Dandy"
- "Field of Dreams"

Fellow SRers, feel free to add a movie recommendation!

Feel free to add any recommendations for great ways to celebrate our independence on July 4th!