View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Ya know, let's skip thinking about tomorrow. I could have my wife drive me up to the bar right now, and I know I'd run into a TON of people and have a really good time. Bars are open until 2AM, plenty of time to catch up with people and so forth. Furthermore, I know they are up there, having a good time, they don't have the handcuffs on themselves, they are doing what they want and having fun doing it. I want that. ok? I'm completely contradicting what I told myself many years ago. And that is I would no longer deprive myself of the pleasures in life. So yeah, its bugging me.
It saddens me that you still see drinking as pleasurable for you.
I totally get it, but it saddens me.

Many of us here sat with you through threads and PMs where things were decidedly not pleasurable for you - but that's the power of alcoholism and selective memory.

I know that you hate to 'lose' and that a part of you is steaming against not being able to control your drinking.

Sometimes we just have to accept things, particularly as we grow older. It's part of being an upstanding guy, pillar of the community and an adult.

I've said several times now you have a great opportunity here - very few of us get a period of time where we cannot drink - it's like the best head start ever.

I'd *really* hate to see you mess that up, man.

D