Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Weasel1966
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
And then ... an urge from outta nowhere. And it was a tough one for a minute or so. Not that I would act on it, cause I won't. But wow, was it a vivid picture in my mind. I've been reading about habits, their formation, and the way we can manipulate them. Well, I immediately recognize one of my "cues" as well as the old "routine" which was drinking, and the "reward" ... which was obviously the buzz. So the trick, apparently, is that old habits don't extinguish, however, we can change them. So, the cue: college days, reading books, bookstores, discussing books with friends ... over the "glass of wine" that turned into a bottle or two. That was my super strong cue today while I was driving away from the thrift store. Nowadays, I can substitute the "routine" of drinking with many other things. And one of those is mindfulness. Since Weasel mentions the bell of mindfulness in these threads, I will comment that learning how to be mindful (and not afraid or, or not blind to) of urges and seeing them for what they are, a passing thought, has been one of the most important tools I've learned to use. Many call it urge surfing. Recognition of those thoughts as nothing more than thoughts, old habits, urges ... whatever you call it ... is a key. We don't have to act on it

BRAVO!!!!!!