View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
2muchpain wrote in part: " Well, he was wrong and I didn't drink."
No one can accurately predict what might happen. But that doesn't mean that it is not wise to check the odds, do a "risk/ benefit" analysis. Suppose there is only a fifteen percent chance of a relapse. An 85 percent chance of everything going well and "having a nice weekend". Would it be prudent to risk the 15 percent chance, considering what might happen with a relapse? Suppose you had a magic revolver, containing six bullets. Five of these would assure you a "nice weekend". One of these would produce a relapse. Would you then spin the barrel, point it to your head and say, "Well I've got an 85 percent chance of having fun. As to the 15 percent chance of possible disaster, or at least severe suffering, not to worry! Be Happy!" CLICK!
Drunken driving is another calculation. How many times have we alcoholics "gotten away with it"? But what if, fifteen percent of the time, there are those flashing red lights in the rear view mirror? How many times have we said, "Well, that's not going to happen tonight, if I'm very, very careful!"

W.
The point I was trying to make is to be true to yourself and your intentions. I certainly listened to the guy that felt I had already decided to drink. Maybe he misunderstood what I said. I was solid with my sobriety, just needed a group hug I guess to feel people where with me when I was gone, if that makes sense. John