View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Zufrieden

Exwell,
Thank you for sharing this.
I am only 12 days sober so my credibility is low but I just went through that experience this past weekend. Off to the coast to a family gathering that included my favorite drinking buddy, my brother in law. I didn't really consider not going because it is about the only family trip we take each year but I did feel concern, almost sadness, that I would have to break the news to my brother in law. He showed up with excellent wine, and broke out a bottle the first night at a restaurant. As he was pouring I quietly told him I was finished. He stared incredulously and then shouted to the waiter "get this man some ice tea!".... I actually felt empowered by the experience, had some great discussions with him later, and had a fantastic time on the trip. I am now home, alone (have to work), while my wife/kids continue the vacation for another week. I honestly feel that home alone is more dangerous than at the beach with family, for me. This would be my normal time to get obliterated with my dogs bearing silent witness. Instead I will do other things.
I really appreciated what was said about the relapse occurring in advance of drinking. I had never thought about that before but find it to be true for me. I have had that feeling of resignation far in advance, in the past. If that is the feeling you have, then this trip might be ill fated. If not, maybe it can be good for you to have a new, sober experience. I took my trip knowing that relapse would not occur and was able to ward off the whispers of my AV as it came and went.
Question: What would you do at home alone during the family vacation?
I wish you the best with your choice and please do take the posts, go online during your trip if that is possible, and stay ahead of the urges. It sounds like your family will be a source of support to you and that you are really the only threat to yourself.
Best!
d