View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Gilmer

The tour went very, very well yesterday. My dad was completely lucid yesterday. We went to the marketing director's office and talked about my dad's status and according prices. He will need a high level of care, but the add-on price was extremely reasonable. I was shocked!

My husband wants to know if there are any hidden nickel and dime costs, like charging the residents for toilet paper. He's highly suspicious after having watched "Better Call Saul!"

My dad took everything in and said, "There's a lot of different rooms here!" We saw a bunch of residents. Everybody who could respond was friendly.

When I gave the full report to my husband, we agreed to pay the deposit for the last remaining semi-private room. I arranged a date for my dad to have his official status assessment for the state, and I have an appointment next Wednesday to have his doctor check him out and fill out forms stating that medically it is appropriate to have him housed in a memory care facility.

On the way home, I asked my dad what he thought. He asked "What kind of place is that?" I said it's a place for people who can't be cared for at home any more. He was quiet for a minute; then he said very humbly and sincerely, "Whatever is most convenient for you." He said it again a few minutes later.

We were starving when we got out of there, so I went to an Arby's drive-thru. I got us each a #1 meal. My dad went wild for the curly fries! He kept asking, "What are these called?"

We were stuffed after chowing those down, so we saved the roast beef sandwiches for dinner.

We will be going away next weekend for the Independence Day holiday: he will be staying for four days in a (different) nursing home thanks to hospice. The nurse and I told him yesterday, and he seemed to understand that it would be a differnt place, and only for a few days.