View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OneLessLonely

I started by reading here multiple times per day and joining that month's "class thread," posting at least once per day and really got to know the people in my class. I had this site open on my phone at all times to peek in as needed. I made sober plans for my worst trigger times- walking, bookstore, coffee shop, movies, reading, out with friends not drinking. I bought numerous non-alcoholic drinks- both for at home, to bring to places, and while out. I let myself have whatever treat I wanted that wasn't alcoholic- candy, ice cream, chips, new clothes. I said no to any plans that involved alcohol- for awhile, until I knew in my heart I could go and not drink, and even then it wasn't right into a wedding or a party. It was like out with friends who would have a drink, and then up and up. I said goodbye to friendships that were centered around drinking. I remained open to adding to and changing parts of my plan to better suit sobriety. I ALWAYS posted here first when I was getting nervous about certain plans or if I wanted to drink. And I had to realize that it was imperative to not care that people might have disagreed with my new life decisions. There really and truly is nothing more important than whatever I had to do or not do to maintain sobriety. That was really hard to believe in the beginning but it's true.