Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Somewhat interesting news - I had a meeting yesterday with my CEO and the new VP of sales. I was instructed to give the new VP of sales some background on the company and provide some ideas, etc. After giving them a rundown, they both offered me an opportunity to join the new sales force. They want me to make the move, but ultimately it's my call.

I'm flattered to have the offer, though not surprised, I saw it coming a mile away. I spent years in sales in the past and frankly I've been happy to be away from it. I do feel I could help our company in this role, but I could do without the stress. Plus, with the sales VP being brand new, I'm not sure how he operates just yet, and reporting to someone in a new, high-profile and aggressive position seems unnecessary risky considering I have a choice. I will call the CEO tomorrow and say "thanks, I'd love to but my current role suits me very well. I would be happy to continue to help out in any way I can that's best for the team", etc. etc.

Also: a friend of mine in NYC called me down here yesterday, she's recently been layed off and was looking for some inspirational advice and words of wisdom. We actually met down here in Guatemala and she was impressed to see how I've managed to escape the rat race in Big City USA in order to thrive down here in Central America.

A few years ago, new job offers were few and far between! Choices were a luxury I didn't have. And, I'm pretty sure nobody would ever have asked ME for advice on anything aside from "what's the best cheap vodka" or "do you think the White Sox will cover the spread?". Every once in a while it's good to see evidence that my sober foundation has allowed me to build a character that others admire, too!