View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
SpiritOfDjinn
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
It is nice to be checking in with the Marchers. I need to get caught up on everyone's posts. I have been very busy with work (writing projects), continual, agonizing PTSD episodes and dealing with my husband who has spinal injury and is in a wheelchair, needs care, on many meds, et cetera, until he has a procedure that is supposed to help.

I am still sober. Thinking about drinking is not so frequent anymore. A month ago, I was still agonizing here and there over temptation, but right now, I think I can appreciate that I need to be sober to deal with my therapy and anxiety. Sobriety has been, for me, a catalyst for PTSD episodes. Sometimes flashbacks and obtrusive memories are so relentless and painful. When I am feeling in a self-destructive mood (or thinking about suicide) I wonder if it would just be easier to go back to being a drunk. But- it is not an acceptable option for me. I will never make my beautiful and kind children go through the type of trauma I did when I was their age. Drinking is not a solution that I want anymore.

I am seeing a PTSD therapist soon and I have been dreading that almost as much as Father's Day. I got through the day and I don't have to think about it for another year. My sister called on my parents' other phone line when I called to talk to my father. She was on speaker while I talked to my mom. Just like me, she waited until the last minute of the day (right before bed) and sounded just as distant as I was. It scares me how easily I can cut off painful emotions and detach myself when speaking with the person who did many, many bad things to my sisters and me. It is hard and although I know I don't owe my Borderline/Narcissistic father anything, I would rather not make trouble and keep a comfortable distance throughout the year.

In many ways I am grateful to be working through the trauma. Obviously, it contributed to my excessive alcohol use. I would have never been able to endure memories or roller-coaster like flashbacks before I got sober. In fact, I would have never let those memories surface.

Sorry for writing a not-so-cheerful update. I know I sound morose, but at least I I am facing my emotions head-on and I am being honest with myself for the first time in my life. I may not be happy, but I am starting to be hopeful.
It may be less than cheerful but at least it's honest. I'm glad you stopped in for an update. I think that getting counselling for your PTSD is definitely going to help you get a handle on all the things you struggle with. I know it has helped my wife immensely. She was at one time addicted to methamphetamine and that exacerbated some of the mental symptoms of the trauma. But, through therapy and lots of love and support, she is doing better than she ever has. Keep your chin up, you're rocking this!