View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Sometimes we overly complicate things. We make the moment bigger than it is, or we dismiss it as a trivial matter. (Many of us are, after all, people of extremes.) The message then gets lost in all our planning or lack of planning. This is how I lived when I was a young man, both while I was drinking, and continuing in early sobriety.

You're going to an event where alcohol is readily available, and with people who'll be drinking. Some are anticipated to drink in excess. Regardless of who will be in attendance, your past associations with them, their credentials and their accomplishments, you know that you cannot drink safely.

When I attend any event where alcohol is served, and which is true of any celebration of its kind, I don't drink, and I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to protect my sobriety. I've been doing this since very early on for the two times I've gotten sober, although I simply avoided events where alcohol was served for a couple of years since I've been back.

I don't believe that I've uncovered the great mystery of staying sober. Nor do I believe that my "plan" is unique to me or to a select few. What I know is that it has worked with a success rate of one-hundred percent.