View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
kadidee

Hi all! I've been cleaning out and rearranging my house and office--feels good. Have also started back with yoga and going to the gym--this will be my fourth week run/walking 2-3 times a week. I'm remembering just over a year ago, when summer was approaching, and I was getting nervous about what I would do with all that time not drinking. What a difference a year makes--summer already seems to be passing by at a rapid pace and so much more to do!

V, I've also wondered what certain periods might have looked like had I gotten sober sooner. But maybe we had to get to where we did for it to stick and to be grateful for what can exist in sobriety. Have you ever heard that saying, "Maybe everything is just as it should be?" I try to hold onto that thought when I start my train of regret thinking (the big one I get sucked into is, what if I hadn't married an abusive sociopath and oh, how didn't I see it, etc). Anyway, I was thinking about that recently when I found my mind wandering that path--what if I had to go through that to get where I am now or where I am going..maybe I still would have chosen to get embroiled in that if I knew it was necessary for a larger life lesson. We could say the same think about alcohol--everything is brighter now only because we know how bad it can be.

As trite as it sounds, I firmly believe we are all on a journey, but we get tripped up in thinking that today (every day) we are supposed to have arrived 'someplace' and therefore be fixed or better (insert adjective here) than we were yesterday or the day before. But what if we knew that we had all the time in the world to get there? What if we just accepted that every day we are still a work in progress? I'm not there yet, but it's very freeing to think about it as a possibility.