Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
learningagain

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Home, showered and almost human again.

I would not say quitting smoking is easy but it was a lot easier than quitting booze. After a while you don't have to try. Also there are tablets and things, subject to doctors orders. Lastly it is not possible to smoke in any public places anymore, which is a help. It did take me a few goes to quit permanently and I had to not drink alcohol for a couple of months, but that was back in '87 before I was an alcoholic
I have quit smoking numerous times too. I have twice given up smoking and drinking. Once was a health kick, and I really was only drinking periodically and stopped only cos I went low carb, that was over 10 years ago. Then I stopped both for 3 weeks in January this year, but had no real plan, so both came back the moment I had an excuse.

Giving up drinking at this point is essential as it was affecting my life extremely negatively and turning me into a hermit. Giving up smoking is more about long term health. I find the cravings for smoking are more demanding of attention, but once you get over them it is easier to stay stopped because it is so frowned upon, whereas not drinking is easier initially, but is EVERYWHERE so harder to keep away from, and involves far more "training" and "rewiring" in order to stick to it.