Old 06-20-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Returning2drink

Originally Posted by Persys View Post
I have a question that I have struggled with for a while: During my drinking career I used to cut myself. Not really sure why, but I did this for some time. Now I have these scars all over my upper and lower arms and as we approach summertime I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on how to respond when people ask what they are from...

I've been sober for almost two years now but don't necessarily go around advertising that unless I am speaking with other addicts. What would you say if someone asked? Do I tell the truth?

I've never asked in a meeting because it wasn't directly related to alcohol but I really could use some help. Thank you!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have burn marks all over my arms from self harm, Persys. I did most of them in cool weather and am dreading Summer.

I would never tell anyone the truth about how I got them because I think it gets u labelled as a freak. (People who have their own wouldn't generally ask or stare!)

Early on, when I only had a few, I pretended I burnt myself on the oven or had infected mosquito bites that scarred. I have way too many for those lies now! Cutting looks different.... If u steered away from singlets and just wore tees, is there any lie that might explain them?

Some people get tattoos to cover them (I'm not a tattoo type), others use make up... Would sun tanning help?

I think that unless they're close friends (who may already know) it's an OVERSHARE. Maybe you could treat extra starey strangers you'll never see again to the confronting truth if u get irritated?

That's just my opinion but I'm not the type to be very open with people in real (not online) life.

R2D