Old 06-18-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cactusflower

Question Need Advice about contacting boyfriend who relapsed

Hi there....I have recently started dating a man who was in long term recovery for 20 years, relapsed about a year or two ago, and just got his 1-year chip last month. We started talking in April and he was upfront with me about his recovery and past. We hit it off and things were going great. For the last several weeks, his counselor has been telling him not to be in a relationship when he is still new in recovery. So, although he didn't want to, he decides he needs to not see me so that he can focus on him . Although I was really upset, I figured maybe this was positive---he loves me so much he wants to be the best person he can be.

Well, that was Sunday. We talked briefly Monday and then I hadn't heard from him, until he called me yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon to tell me he was in the hospital because he drank, took whatever pills he had in his house, and almost blacked out. I told him I wasn't sure what to say to him, but that I was thinking of him and hoping he gets better, and that him drinking because he missed me wasn't how we were going to get to be together (not guilting, but I was processing a lot).

I'm not sure if I reach out and be supportive or what. I'm new at this and want to be there for him, but not sure how or when to do that.

Any advice?
thanks!