View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
nymets86

Ready, enjoy that much deserved vacation!

All is good here. I got up at 4:15AM yesterday to make sure I could get a jog in before leaving NYC for a meeting in Philadelphia at 10AM where I had to give a presentation and then do a Q&A. If I hadn't had class Tuesday night, I'd have gone to Philly the night before. As is, being 100% sober made that wake up only a little painful and it felt great getting that super early work out in and then still making Amtrak with time to spare.

The meeting went well and the client replied to my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss saying that I was "the best guest speaker" she's had come speak to her team.

As I guess could be expected, I got back to my office in New York around 3 and worked for 2 hours and that email came in during that time, my head got inflated and I got a craving. My boss is out today, I have no class now for a few weeks (possibly more as the syllabus I got for the next summer class I signed up for looks boring and a waste of time, so might just take the rest of summer off). So the craving was pretty strong to just get hammered last night. I didn't do any one thing specifically, but I rode it out by walking around the office at 5, rather than heading to the liquor store or calling friends about happy hour, and helped one of our newer employees for about an hour on something he was struggling with. Then I took the subway home and went to the grocery store and spent about an hour walking around trying to pick out some healthier food choices that I'd actually eat (as I mentioned, I just can't do veggies). So now I have a fridge full of Greek yogurt, pineapple, grapes, hummus, pita chips, lean cuisine, frozen fruit ice Popsicles and protein bars. Finally got home at 8 and by then, the craving was gone. I watched the mets game then until it got to them being down 8-0 and shut it off, got in bed and put on Netflix until falling asleep around 11.

Now awake, hangover free and going to get in a workout before heading in to work. Then tomorrow, I'm heading out of town to meet up with my dad and brother for Father's Day and we have a 15-mile hike planned for Saturday to celebrate Father's Day (better forecast than Sunday, so jumping the gun). This weekend will mark my 18th in a row of sobriety. Never thought this was possible.

Torn, how are things with you? Is that class presentation over? Have things improved at work? I hope you are doing well and were able to get your sober legs back.