View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CodeJob

CodeJob's Step 12

I made it!

I printed off Step 12's review available here and I've read through it several times over the past 6 weeks or so.

I truly did have a spiritual awakening working the 12 Steps. I can totally understand why a lot of people don't make it past Step 3. Educating yourself to your own issues and then realizing your own role in addiction is not an easy endeavor. So many people are not fully cognizant of enabling and codependency so it is easy to keep heaping the blame on the addict.

Step 12 is pretty much about living the lessons you learned as an example AND giving back. I was never fully involved in my Al Anon home group and its timing and my work schedule no longer overlap. For now I plan to post here at least a few times a week and give back. For me, I need to keep this as my header when I write on threads: What is the difference between carrying the message and giving advice?

Last time my mom was visiting, she asked me how things were going and I mentioned that I was nearly done with the steps for my first time. I sighed and said it took me 2 years, but I really accomplished a lot. She had no idea I had a sponsor. She thought the steps & sponsors were just for the alcoholics. I laughed and said, "Nope. My alcoholic never even got through all of the steps as far as I know. But I did." Then I realized that conversation was indicative about how much my focus has changed in two years. Her question had really been asking, Was my RAH sober and I turned it and only dealt with what I have control over - me!

So thank you to everyone who volunteers so much time and cares so much on SR. It has been a great resource to me.