Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learningagain

Thank you for the kind words and welcomes!

Yes, the hiking has really helped me - I feel like I am doing something rather than missing out through not drinking, I think if I just stopped drinking, without replacing it I would feel I was losing something, instead I feel I am gaining - fitness, fresh air and fun!

The first few days I pretty much slept the whole time, I became a zombie, now I am finding it hard to get to sleep, but once I am asleep it is a deep sleep.

Last night my 8 year old was really sick - I picked him up from his dad's and he was throwing up the whole 20 minute drive home (luckily dad provided a bucket!). He was sick all night, including all over my bed. In the past I would have stopped on the way home for beer to "cope and stay calm", yet the thought did not cross my mind, I was far more present for him, not to mention if he got severely sick I was perfectly capable to drive him to the hospital. Fortunately he is better today, and I am wondering what we can do - and wondering without worrying about when I can grab a drink!

It really for me has been liking flipping a switch in my thinking - once I did that, it has been easier. Now just to quit the cigarettes! One step at a time!