View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Hey Art, I just took a read on your other thread and it looked like 95% of the comments were ultra-supportive! I think the other 5% just wanted to make sure you don't completely ditch the recovery option because of the bad experience. Sure sounds like you ran into a lemon at your appointment, sorry about that.

Many of us have been there. I waited in line at 6am outside a crappy office park in the rain so I could get an assessment, and was finally seen hours later. The assessment took place in a cluttered and very small office and the counselor called me "delusional" and said I had a real problem. Nothing about this "professional assessment" matched what I had pictured in my mind, and I was so damn ticked off that I almost ran straight to the airport to fly away.

I'm glad I didn't run away, because that assessment helped me get into Inpatient Treatment where I learned some tools to get my life on the right track. We don't want you to run away either. It's super scary, and hard to go through alone. It's especially hard when we push help away for years, and when you finally ask for it....it turns into even more pain. It hurts, and I can feel your hurt also in your posts. I think we all just want you to stick with it - keep sharing, keep blowing off steam, whatever you need to do we are here to listen. Just stick with it. This was just one rough day, you are learning the ropes and you can use this experience to make your next appointment a better one