Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

I'm on day 39 this time and I'd say one of the biggest ways I've taken action is by being a very active participant on these boards. I was at around 250 posts on May 8, 2015, and am at over 1,100 now 5-1/2 weeks later. Some of my posts have been me asking for help, like you just did. Many of them have been me offering my own experience, like I'm doing right here. Many of them have just been a simple "Hey, welcome to SR." But every single one of them has made me more accountable to myself and to others. And, most importantly, helping others gets me out of my own sick head for a while. One addict helping another addict--it's a simple time-honored concept and it's working for me today. Wish I'd tried it many years ago.

I have also just started attending AA meetings and also made a big life change and left a job that I was absolutely miserable at and started a new one. All of those would count as action steps, too.

Also couldn't agree more with least saying that you should fully take drinking off the table as a viable option. Each and every day that I work at my recovery, I become more convinced that I do not have to take that first drink today no matter what. It's quite liberating.