Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thequest

What's tougher to quit; the chemical or associated behaviors?

Sometimes I think the associated behaviors and/or lifestyle is just as hard to quit for the addict as the chemical.

Are things like trying to get money anyway they can as needed easier than going to a job on a regular basis? Is it easier not only to 'zone out' but simply avoid issues like personal finances, a house, cleaning, repairs, relationships, career etc. ?

Is "the party" if there is one tougher to quit because that would mean having to take that time & money and do things like pay bills, clean, repair, go to school, get a second job or get a job period? Is the addict peer group more appealing than doing something they can actually afford and handle like watch tv or read the paper? Or join a church group or charity?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that has avoiding the common issues most deal with or even fret over on daily basis become harder to quit than the chemical? Once sober I think many fear or want to avoid those pesky common details of life most deal with partially by simply staying sober/knowing when to quit.

Is "avoidance" tougher than the chemical?