Thread: sleep dread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Silver11

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I still have sleep anxiety after 27 years of sobriety. I really don't have problems falling asleep. I have problems thinking too much about sleeplessness, preoccupied with something that is really not there. A built in conditioned reflex perhaps. like fear of heights, or any other irrational fear. In addition to the excellent suggestions on this thread, "white" noise may help. Also meditation, any mental exercise which calms the mind. Training the mind to focus on flowers, trees, sunsets, animals, beautiful things. I have found that my mind often dreams of things which I was thinking about just before I fell asleep. So avoid horror movies. Put on a beautiful DVD like "Winged Migration". Serene music played softly. No rock, no rap. Above all avoid alcohol. It may induce sleep but it will wake you up in one or two hours and your body and brain will want more. And the horrible downward slippery slope will begin. Alcohol is the hellish lie of all lies. The dark hole from which some may not return.

W.
I hear you loud and clear!

today is day 14 sober. feeling grateful.