Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sauerkraut

drinking, SMART meeting, and then drinking again?

Oh boy, heavy sigh. Last night my AH texted to say he was going to a SMART meeting; I texted back "Great!" It has been a couple of weeks since he's gone, and I know he slipped off the wagon once and more likely at least twice last week. (The week before he saw his doctor, attended 3 meetings, and told me how hard he was trying to change his habits.)

He came home an hour or so later than necessary and glassy-eyed drunk.

I said "hi" but mostly ignored him.

Later he tried to pick a fight with me, "what did I do wrong this time?"

I said "you've been drinking" and refused to engage. Thankfully he slept downstairs though I slept with one ear open, afraid he would harass our kids or me.

This morning he apologized. I asked what happened. He said he went out for a few drinks after work, felt bad so went to the SMART meeting . . . and then went out for a few more drinks.

How does that make any effing sense?

I know I don't cause and can't control his behavior, and I'm no longer triggering it, either. He's making choices that are killing himself and harming our family. To make matters worse, he drove drunk last night, which he generally doesn't do. So it almost seems like he's getting worse, despite the program, rather than better.

Other than focusing on my own life and our children, which I'm doing, does anyone have any advice?