View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Aellyce

He is not very enthusiastic about being being alive and the prospect of being released from the hospital though. Today we went for a "walk"... The nurse, my dad in a chair, and myself, in the hospital's garden. The nurse showed me how to operate the wheel chair, then left us alone for a while outside. It was a beautiful day and many other patients were also there out. I did not want us to go and talk with others today yet because my dad was very unwell and unable to speak even two days ago, but I was thinking that I know him, he is very social and likes people, so maybe tomorrow and later... Then I asked him about it, whether he would like to meet others in the hospital. What he responded wasn't to that, but something along the lines of "can you get them to give me something"? I had no idea what he meant for a second, but then he added "to die".

I was totally dumbstruck, which made it even worse as I usually am not unable to discuss matters about (his) death at all, we have been doing it for a couple years now. But how do you answer a question like that to your 84 yo father, on the spot?? I wanted to ask the nurse later, but I don't actually like her much, she is very materialistic (literally asked me to give her money to take my dad out for a walk tomorrow and later in the week) and does not seem very interested in deep personal issues at all. I will talk to the social worker that we saw a few weeks ago tomorrow.

As for practical arrangement, it's most likely that my dad will need to live in a home for the elderly or a hospice when he gets out of the hospital. He won't like that idea at all, that much I am certain about.