View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlcSis

Getting My Own Life In Order (Clutter)

Fairly new poster here at SR.

Have recently had to set a very strong boundary with my alcoholic sister. I am so sad that I must write those words. Alcoholic Sister. Because I love her, our dad died from alcoholism, and I never thought she would become one. But she is.

SR really helped me with standing my ground. And I am so grateful for the help I received here!

But I am not perfect. Sure, I am not an alkie. I am a recovering work- in- progress codependent. Most of you understand the issues/defects codependents struggle with.

But, I hate to admit this; but I am a border-line hoarder. My home "looks" great on the outside. But don't look in my closets or under my bed. I have boxes of paperwork I need to get rid of. I have too many kitchen "gadgets". I have too many clothes, books, etc. Too much stuff!

If you read my first post here at SR, you will see that I have detached from my sister's issues and her need to depend on me and my need to rescue her.

NOW - I am taking the first steps to GET MY OWN LIFE IN ORDER.
I am a ACOA. Have had alcoholics and others with personality issues (like my bipolar/alkie EX husband) my whole life.

I also have some disabling autoimmune illnesses that limit my ability to do many things like lifting or sometimes even opening mail. I get fatigued/super tired very easily. And I suffer from diagnosed PTSD and anxiety. And yes, my health problems have greatly contributed to my collection of "stuff".

But still, these are not valid excuses. And all of this "stuff" is really bugging me.

My "visible" parts of my home appear under control.
My "invisible" parts of my home, (closets, etc.) are out of control.

Just like me.

Outside, I "look" okay.
Inside, psychologically and emotionally, I am a mess. But I am getting better.

Using Alanon steps and principles and talking to other Alanons, to get my life under control.

And I have made the decision to get my "clutter" under control.

I just had a "spiritual awakening" and realize I can use the 12 steps and other 12 step tools to help me with the clutter issue.

I have very limited resources; a friend of mine hired a professional organizer to help her; I can't afford the luxury. But I think/know/have faith that I can deal/recover from my own "issues", one day at a time - with the help of my HP.

Thanks OP, great topic!!

p.s.
Just wondering;
Are there any other codependent's/ACOA's who struggle with clutter?