View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Venecia

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi KT

I hope I can set your mind at ease a little.,

Relapse is not inevitable.

It's probably human nature to focus on the relapses here, but there are many great long term success stories too.

Many of them are in this forum:
Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

take a read through

I decided I would never drink again and I would do whatever it took to uphold that promise to myself. 8 years on, I'm doing fine.

I think if you're worried about relapse it's actually not a bad sign - you're not complacent, or getting apathetic and you're reaching out for help and advice - all those are good things.

Relapses happen when we drop the ball. It's impossible to relapse without our consent - so don't drop the ball and don't give your consent -

go that extra yard or 6 when needed and stay in recovery

D
When I first joined SR, I occasionally found myself intimidated by the amount of time others had achieved sober ... and wondered whether I could really do it.

One of the first things I learned was that Dee is one smart fella. And he just gave you some sound counsel, KT. Good words to remember when the going gets tough. For that matter, words to keep close in general.