View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I can relate as well. I suppose most articles aren't written by alcoholics. The understanding just isn't there really.

I think my go-to response was masking through addictive behaviours.
If that wasn't possible, I was quite adept at turning pretty much any negative emotion (guilt; sadness; grief; loneliness; etc.) into fear and anxiety, or anger. Preferably anger.

My personal sobriety journey has taken me through the 12-step route with AA, which has really helped me to recognise; understand; and learn different ways of dealing with my emotions. There have been several light-bulb moments and lots of tears in the last year. I can't believe how differently I am already able to cope with certain situations (although it's def still a work in progress) - but working through my resentments; fears; and harms in Step 4 was a massive eye-opener, and opened the floodgates but in a very good way. I now have quite emotional moments that sneak up; maybe when the words of a song resonate, or a photo provokes a memory and I 'weep' (don't think I did 'weeping' before - just angry crying) but maybe that's healthy. Anyway - not much I can do about that.

Good luck. Keep us posted