View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Abuse insulin? In what way do you mean?

My husband also has chronic pancreatitis and he also developed insulin dependent diabetes as a result. You can dose a couple of ways. Figure out the carbs before and dose (preferred) or wait until an hour after eating and test. If my husband wants to eat half a pie and a cup of sugar he can - he just has to take enough insulin to keep the sugar in check. Alcohol is considered a carb like any other. I am sure he was encouraged to drink in moderation........ I think one or two glasses here and there. There are other things to consider like is he taking long acting insulin? Immediate?

But he's an alcoholic so there will not be moderation. Rather than be worried that he will "abuse" the insulin - I'd be more concerned about whether he took it at all. I'd wonder if he is drunk as **** if he can accurately pull out a couple of units into that small syringe its difficult to do sober. Maybe he is on a pen but not all insulin comes that way..... Maybe he doses too high and crashes....

Then there is the pancreatitis. That also cam from the alcoholism. Two worst things you can do - eat fat and drink alcohol. Have you ever seen a pancreatitis flare up? Linda Blair in the Exorcist on steroids. If he keeps on keeping on he'll be chronic if he isn't already. That means possible billiary bypass or a whipple procedure if he develops pseudocysts and rots what's left.

My husband was sober when I met him. He wasn't eating right and really wasn't managing his diabetes the way he is now. His health is better than ever. He tests his sugar 8 - 10 times a day. He exercises. About 95% of his food is made from scratch. He stays far away from processed food. His last A1C was 6.8 that is an excellent number.

He relapsed a couple of years ago you can read my thread that is why I came here. Let me tell you something you need to consider - you love him and I get that. What he is doing is not only going to ruin his life it will ruin yours. I will deal with anything that comes our way as long as my husband gives it 100% but if he EVER stopped, or started drinking again - I'll be seeing you later pal. Spending my life in a hospital so that someone can drink ain't happening. Wheeling him around in a wheel chair because he had a leg amputated from not managing his diabetes NOPE. Heart attack, neuropathy, kidney failure, NO WAY.

Still could happen but as long as he does what he can I'll be there no matter what. Head back to Al Anon. Don't take this on. You can't stop anything and you can't help him.

I'm sorry he has destroyed his pancreas perhaps he is in denial about how serious this is.