Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Perspective

An Epiphany occurred on an Int'l Flight several Decades ago, and I recall it perfectly.

I met my Travel Agent while we both Rehabbing from Whiplash. The sole possible upside from being in that level of pain was that it's become the Benchmark against which to measure how difficult Drinking -> achieving Sobriety was. My experience: Whiplash was much more miserable. 2 Whiplash Clients of our Attorney's put Guns in their Mouths to end the misery. I comprehensively understand why.

So, this Travel Agent Pal used to bestow Int'l First Class Upgrades on me occasionally. Move from the $5,400- Business Class Seats up to the then-$8,800- First Class Seats upstairs on a 747. Mighty sweet up there. Caviar before Take-off. Quiet. Excellent Chow. Endless Top Shelf Booze. Not that I ever took advantage of that...-) OK, well, just that ~$150- Bottle of 'Royal Lochnagar' Single Malt from near Balmoral that the Flight Attendants didn't even know was on their Food/Booze List.

Before Private Jets were de rigueur, these 2 Guys up in First were shooting the breeze in front of me. Besides springing for their own Seat, each bought the Seat next to them to keep it empty. They were going down around The South Seas for 3 weeks to hang on some Pal's 260' Yacht, and hit the Golf Courses all around. This, after driving Balls off the Yacht front end into perfectly blue Water.

I never was one to prance around and think I got it made. That's just not my Mindset. However, this Episode of Humble Reality reminded me:

1. Someone's always got more Money than I.

2. Someone's always in better shape than I. An understatement.

3. Somebody's always got a better looking Trophy Wife. That's not true, but I'm on a roll here...

The 4th realization is the last line of the Peter Gabriel Song linked below.

I got off this Flight, and went on to work back-to-back Trade Shows in Shanghai over 2 weeks. I was hangin' out, resting my 'Dogs' [Feet] while having a Beer in an outdoor Beer Garden just down from my Five Star Hotel. It had a little Iron Fence 3' high to keep out the Riff Raff. This Couple stopped and manipulated their Infant to kinda 'dance' on this Railing to get Tips for this 'performance'. The Beer Garden Owner ran them off. They had just got off the Bus from a Village, looking for work. All their Possessions were in a Bandana hanging off a Stick over their Shoulders; just like some TV Hobo. This wasn't the Movies, however. This was Real Life.

Now, I'm perturbed - again - about just what in my Life? Ummmm, mebbe that Gomer who snagged my intended Parking Space doesn't merit my outrage, eh?

Perspective...

- 'Big Time' ~ Peter Gabriel -