Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

There one only one reason why a company will pay money to advertise its goods or services: it wants consumers to vote with their collective wallets and funnel the money to them. Once that as well as ignoring the implicit message that unless you drink this soda or drive this car you're somehow not the equal of your neighbors and friends is understood sticking with one's core values is easy. I'm not implying I live a stark existence, because I don't, but there has to be a certain amount of utility before a purchase is made. A good example is I drive a nice car that I bought brand new in 2012. It has a lot of features I wanted that I couldn't get in a less expensive vehicle and while it's 3 years old now and still fairly new, in 7 years it's going to be 10, not so new, and I'll still be owning it. The last car I bought for myself I had for 10 years and would have kept it longer, but the $$ needed for repairs was so high even my mechanic suggested I shouldn't do it. I don't need the latest and greatest to be happy. One look at my dinosaur (non smart) flip cell phone that came out in 2008 will tell you that. :-)

It's about balance for me. I own a business and certainly don't want to be poor, but being the monetarily richest person on my block is not a goal either. Accordingly, when my kids were in school I took a lot of time off and did a lot of volunteering in the school system, coached their respective Little League teams, maybe missed 5 games in the 4 years that my daughter was a 2 sport HS varsity athlete, and supported my son's group of set builders for many of the middle school and HS plays he was involved in. Those are life long memories for each of us and the fact that each, in some small manner, was another building block for the wonderful relationship we currently have is what's really important. Not the latest iPhone, not the biggest house, in fact not anything that's material.

Tune out the noise and look inward. That's where happiness will be found.