Thread: How to start?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
MisterChill

Aislin, I watched my blood pressure steadily climb from high normal - pre-hypertension - stage 1 - and then stage 2 over 5 years. I was daily heavy (6+ beers and half of fifth of bourbon minimum) for the previous 10-12 years and a solid binger the 10 years before that. Thankfully I had yet to progress to drinking in the morning or early in the day. Kept it from 6pm or later the vast majority of the time.

On top of now being on blood pressure meds, I had a liver ultrasound yesterday and confirmed fatty liver and mild inflamation. The blood work from my last physical was scary enough for me to FINALLY draw the line.

There is probably no chance at getting control of your blood pressure until you knock off drinking. I tried every supplement in the book prior to getting put on meds. I'm 46 now and have definitely paid a physical price for the addiction.

I'm only 18 days in but man, it sure does feel like i have a monkey off my back right now. The first week was tough with strong cravings and all kinds of mental games. There is a price to pay for all the years of drinking to excess and there is no easy way out. Once you get past the strong mental and physical stuff everything changes for the better. How you think and feel makes you feel like a brand new person. At least it has for me. I haven't felt this way in over 20 years. The road ahead will not be simple or easy while trying to maintain sobriety but so worth the fight.

Good luck!